Gordon J. Bernhardt
Gordon J. Bernhardt
CPA, PFS, CFP®, AIF®
President and Founder
I’m Gordon and I believe in building high-trust relationships.
When I work with you, I:
- Genuinely care,
- Create a foundation for our relationship, and I stand with you from the very beginning and as it grows,
- Give you my undivided attention when I am with you and listen generously to what is important to you,
- Gain an understanding of your goals, values, and concerns,
- Do what say I say I’m going to do when I say I will do it, and get back to you in a timely manner,
- Act in your best interests, always, because being a fiduciary is important to me,
- Make myself available to you when other members of my team are unavailable,
- Do not pretend to know the answers to every question, and work with both team members and strategic partners answer any question you have, and
- Introduce you to trusted professionals when their expertise is needed to help you achieve what is important to you or when outside expertise is needed.
As a firm, we:
- Maintain a culture consistent with our four core values of Character, Chemistry, Caring, and Competence.
- Pride ourselves on having the utmost integrity. Rest assured, you can count on each and every one of us to keep our word.
- Do the right thing for you 100% of the time, and guide you to the right solutions, even if they have no financial impact or don’t serve us directly.
Areas of Expertise
- Portfolio management
- Retirement and estate planning
- Planning for executives and business owners
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Personal Financial Specialist (PFS)
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional (CFP®)
- Accredited Investment Fiduciary (AIF®)
- University of Virginia, Bachelor of Science, Commerce
- University of Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- National Association of Personal Financial Advisors
- Financial Planning Association
- Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Northern Virginia Estate Planning Council
- Book Author, Profiles in Success: Inspiration from Executive Leaders in the Washington D.C. Area
- CNN Money
- MSN Money
- The New York Times
- US News & World Report
- Wall Street Journal
- Washington Post
Having grown up in a Nebraska farming community, I left the Midwest in the early 80s for my first job as assistant to a U.S. House Representative in Washington, D.C., followed by a position for the U.S. Senate Finance Committee. Upon entering the financial industry, I worked for Price Waterhouse (now PricewaterhouseCoopers) and then spent three years in the corporate accounting world. Positions with Acacia and American Express Financial Advisors (now Ameriprise)followed, before starting Bernhardt Wealth Management in 1994.
It is important for me to be able to look in the mirror at the end of the day and feel good about what I did for those I serve. So rather than be restricted by a large company’s cookie cutter methodology, I established my own firm where I could create customized plans that are far more appropriate for individual clients. I removed the conflicts of interest that were prevalent elsewhere else, and created a business whose first priority is to serve the client by putting their interests before the interests of any company.
While fulfilling work is important, the greatest rewards come from living a well-rounded life. For that reason, I strive to relieve my clients of their financial anxieties, so that they can pursue their dreams.
Outside of work, I enjoy hiking through some of the most wonderful trails on earth. I’m strengthening my amateur photography skills while capturing the beauty that surrounds me. I’m also actively involved in several professional and philanthropic organizations.